Mount Repose Cemetery was originally purchased for the Methodist
Church by a company consisting of the following person: John S.
Gurnee, John D. Gardiner, John r. McKenzie, Issaiah Milburn, Lewis
R. Mackey, Walter S. Johnson, Silas D. Gardiner, Leonard Gurnee, and
Asbury De Noyelles.
The land, thirteen acres, was purchased of Asbury De Noyelles
for $1,200. It was laid out into lots, and Isaiah Milburn and John
S. Gurnee were authorized to give deeds for them. Owing to some
disagreement, a partition suit was begun soon afterward. The tract
was sold at auction, by order of court , and was bid in by Clarence
Conger, for $5,200. He gave Garret G. Allison power of attorney to
sell lots, and that is the present condition of the title. The
cemetery was dedicated Thursday, July 7th 1853. The location is at
the foot of the mountain, and probably it would be difficult to find
a better site. Many of the monuments are of the most elegant design
and the grounds are neatly kept. The oldest tombstone is one that
was removed here from the old Allison family burying ground by the
river, and bears the following: "In memory of Robert Hutchings, who
was born the 8th day of September, 1697, and departed this like the
12th day of February, 1765, aged 67 years and 5 months and 4 days."
History of Rockland County, New York
Rev. David Cole. D. D.
Mount Repose Cemetery Inc.
Routes 202 & 9w
Haverstraw, New York 10927
Click photo to enlarge